Sunday, January 8, 2012

Life's Little Adventures

Hello!! For those of you that don't know me, my name is Katie. I've lived a little bit of everywhere, but consider home to be Memphis, TN. The the only hint of a southern accent I have is a slightly drawled y'all. I'm a Penn State grad and currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area with my wonderful fiancé, B, and our two cats. I work in recruiting for a very large company and am currently looking for my next adventure. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I am currently on a little adventure that is taking me to places I never thought I'd have to go. About a year and a half ago, I tested positive for a BRCA2 mutation and at the end of next month, I will wake up more than a little flat chested. While I won't go into all the details in my first post, I have an extremely high risk of developing an aggressive form of premenopausal breast cancer and after weighing all of the options, have decided to move forward with a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction - sooner, rather than later. I am scared and anxious, but confident this is the best choice - for me.

After deciding to take this step in ensuring I have a future, I needed to figure out a way to talk about what was happening without making it a topic in every conversation I have with every friend I have. So to make it easier on me and them, I created this blog. Everyone who wants to know can know, and everyone who doesn't want to know, doesn't have to know how I say "bon voyage" to a very big piece of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment